Why House Says He Hired Cameron:
Dr. Allison Cameron (Jennifer Morrison) convinces Dr. House (Hugh Laurie) to take on a difficult case.
2004 FOX BROADCASTING COMPANY
Credit: Danny Feld/FOX
- (After she Foreman tells her why House says he hired him, she asks House why he hired her):
House: "The only thing that matters is what you think. Can you do the job?
Cameron: You hired a black guy because he had a juvenile record.
House: "No, it wasn't a racial thing, I didn't see a black guy. I just saw a doctor with a juvenile record. I hired Chase 'cause his dad made a phone call. I hired you because you are extremely pretty."
Cameron: "You hired me to get into my pants?"
House: "I can't believe that that would shock you. It's also not what I said. No, I hired you because you look good; it's like having a nice piece of art in the lobby."
Cameron: "I was in the top of my class."
House: "But not the top."
Cameron: "I did an internship at the Mayo Clinic."
House: "Yes, you were a very good applicant."
Cameron: "But not the best?"
House: "Would that upset you, really, to think that you were hired because of some genetic gift of beauty not some genetic gift of intelligence?"
Cameron: "I worked very hard to get where I am."
House: "But you didn't have to. People choose the paths that grant them the greatest rewards for the least amount of effort. That's the law of nature, and you defied it. That's why I hired you. You could have married rich, could have been a model, you could have just show up and people would have given you stuff. Lots of stuff, but you didn't, you worked your stunning little ass off."
Cameron: "Am I supposed to be flattered?"
House: "Gorgeous women do not go to medical school. Unless they're as damaged as they are beautiful. Were you abused by a family member?"
House: "Sexually assaulted?"
House: "But you are damaged, aren't you?" [#101 pilot]
- House's analysis of Cameron
- House: "You're an only child, aren't you?"
Cameron: "Why would you say that?"
House: "Everything is about you." [#102 Paternity]
- Cameron's assessment of House
- What House Says to Cameron about Her
- House: "I don't need verification from you to know that I'm doing my job well. That's your problem, not mine."
Cameron: "I was just being nice."
House: "Yeah, well, you dont need to always do that." [#105 Damned if You Do]
- Cameron: "Cameron: Yeah, I trusted you."
House: "You always trust me. Big mistake" [#111 Detox]
- House: "...you don't want definitive, you want to hang on to your delusions as long as you can." [#201]
- Cameron, after House suggests she could be sick with a disease which first causes euphoria: "Do I seem happy to you?"
House: "Never." (Chase, listening in, thinks this is funny.) [#221]
- About the relationship:
- Cameron: "People dismiss me. Because I'm a woman, because I'm pretty, because I'm not aggressive. My opinions shouldn't be rejected just because people don't like me."
House: "They like you. Everyone likes you."
Cameron: "Do you? I have to know."
House: "No." [#114 Control]
- House (when she ignores him after he suggested a treatment to repair what might have been her mistake): "Brrrr. Icy. Definitely think twice before correcting one of your mistakes again."
Cameron: "Correct all you want. Of course, it's a bit more productive if there's an actual mistake."
House: "Right, I always forget that part." [#116 Heavy]
- Cameron: "I'm the only one who's always stood behind you when you've screwed up."
House: "Why? Why would you support someone who screws up?"
Cameron: "Because I'm not insanely insecure. And because I can actually trust in another human being and I am not an angry, misanthropic son of a bitch."
House: "I'm sorry, you said you weren't angry." [#116 Heavy]
- House: "Figures you'd try and come up with a solution where no one gets hurt. The problem is, the world doesn't work that way just 'cause you want it to.
Cameron: Figures you'd stall and refuse to deal with the issue. Problem is, the world doesn't go away just because you want it to." [#116 Heavy]
- House: "Got it. You're grateful. Apparently you seem to think it'll mean a lot to me to know that."
Cameron: "Do you know why people pray to God?"
House: "I thought you didn't believe in God."
Cameron: "I don't."
House: "Well, then you better be making a very good point."
Cameron: "Do you think they pray to Him and praise Him because they want Him to know how great He is? God already knows that."
House: "Are you comparing me to God? I mean, that's great, but just so you know, I've never made a tree."
Cameron: "I thank you because it means something to me. To be grateful for what I receive."
House: "You are the most naive atheist I've ever met.... People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs. I'm not gonna crush you." [#117 Role Model]
- House (after Cameron has made her feelings fairly clear): "You like me. Why?"
Cameron: "That's kind of a sad question."
House: "Just trying to figure out what makes you tick. I am not warm and fuzzy and you are basically a stuffed animal made by grandma.
Cameron: I don't think that's why you're asking. I think it's because of the speech."
House: "Oh God, don't try and pick me apart."
Cameron: "Then why are you asking? What do you want to hear?" [#117 Role Model]
- Cameron (having come by where House lives after House fails to give a speech that could have allowed him to keep all three of his students): "You don't need to worry about firing anyone. I'm leaving."
House: "Why? Is this another noble, self-sacrificing gesture? You trying to protect Foreman?"
House: "So this is just, Don't fire me, I quit."
Cameron: "I'm protecting myself. You asked me why I like you. You're abrasive and rude, but I figured everything you do, you do it to help people. But I was wrong. You do it because it's right. There are only two ways I can deal with things. One is in my control. That's to leave. Goodbye, House." [#117 Role Model]
- Cameron (to House after he shows up at her door for the second time insisting that she come back to work): "I can't come back, I told you that."
Wilson (when he hears about the date, needlling) "Wilson: Young, ingenue doctor falling in love with gruff, older mentor; her sweet gentle nature bringing him to a closer, fuller understanding of his wounded heart." [#120 Love Hurts]
House: "Wasn't listening."
House: "You want me to listen to you more? I can do that."
Cameron: "Right. I already accepted a position somewhere else."
House: "With who?"
Cameron: "Yule, at Jefferson."
House: "Unaccept it."
House: "Because Yule is boring. He's pedantic and preachy." Because he's short. "Because I want you to come back."
Cameron: "Not good enough."
House: "Want more money? A car allowance, better parking space?"
Cameron: "Dinner. And not just a meal between two colleagues. A date."
House: "You'll come back to work if I go out on a date with you?"
House: "Okay, it's a deal." [#119 Kids]
- Cameron (on the date with House): I'm not expecting you to be someone you're not."
House: "We're in a restaurant, we're dressed up, we're eating. If not small talk, what is there?"
Cameron: "According to Freud, and I'm paraphrasing, instinct of love toward an object demands a mastery to obtain it, and if a person feels they can't control the object or feel threatened by it, they act negatively toward it. Like an eighth-grade boy punching a girl."
House: "I treat you like garbage, so I must really like you. Given your Freudian theory, what does it mean if I start being nice to you?"
Cameron: "That you're getting in touch with your feelings."
House: "Hmm. So there's absolutely nothing I can do to make you think that I don't like you."
Cameron: "Sorry, no. I have one evening with you, one chance, and I don't want to waste it talking about what wines you like or what movies you hate. I want to know how you feel about me."
House: "You live under the delusion that you can fix everything that isn't perfect. That's why you married a man who was dying of cancer. You don't love, you need. And now that your husband is dead, you're looking for your new charity case. That's why you're going out with me. I'm twice your age, I'm not great looking, I'm not charming, I'm not even nice. What I am is what you need. I'm damaged."
[#120 Love Hurts]
- Cameron: "I'm over you. I've jumped on the bandwagon. I hate you, okay?" [#201]
- House: "You stay away from the patient."
Cameron: "What'd I do?"
House: "Oh well, you'd just get all warm and cuddly around the dying girl and insinuate yourself; end up in a custody battle." [#202]
- House (knowing the famous Dr. Charles has asked Cameron out): "Are you gonna go out with him?"
Cameron: "Is that any of your business?"
Cameron: "I don't think so."
House: "Two days ago you were holding his hand. What's changed?"
Cameron: "He practically lives in Africa, there's no future."
House: "On the other hand, maybe there's too much of a future now. You weren't attracted to him because he was prepared to die for a cause, you were attracted to him because he was actually doing it."
Cameron: "Right. It's that simple."
House: "That was simple?"
Cameron: "I put a label on them and go from there."
House: "Everybody does it. We are who people think we are. People think he's a great doctor so they give him stuff."
Cameron: "He is a great doctor."
House: "The reality is irrelevant." [#204]
- House after learning that Cameron has postponed getting a test for HIV: "Cameron. I love you." [She opens her moth in shock and he swaps the inside of her cheak.] "Get your test results tomorrow." [#211]
- The next day House hands Cameron a sealed envelope, which she assumes is her HIV test results: "Knowing is always better than not knowing."
Cameron opens the envelope but it wasn't the results: "It's a referral request.
House holding up an open envelope: "Right. HIV thing came in earlier. You're fine.
Cameron: "You won't read your mail, but you'll open mine?
House: "It said confidential. I wanted to know.
Cameron: "The most important letter of my life, and you're still an ass.
House: "Comforting, isn't it? [#211]
- Tritter sends for Cameron to question her about House: "Gonna break out the rubber hoses, the bright lights? I'm not gonna testify, just because I have to borrow lunch money.
"I know. Women don't give up guys that— they're in love with.
"I'm not in love with House."
" A guy as unhinged and unethical, does what he wants with no concern for others. But you stand by him."
"That can't just be loyalty and respect?"
"I'm a girl. So I must be in love with him."
"Not because you're a girl. Because ten years ago, you got an A in Calculus, until you ratted yourself out. Showed your professor a mistake he missed. Because you married a man—"
"Don't go there!"
"You used to be someone, who did the right thing. House has changed you. D'you think it's all been for the better?"
Cameron walks out. [#309]