House (Hugh Laurie) and his surgical team operate
on a girl who has a rare disease that prevents her
from feeling pain in the HOUSE episode "Insensitive"
airing Tuesday, Feb. 13 (9-10 PM ET/PT) on FOX.
©2007 FOX BROADCASTING COMPANY
Credit: Chris Haston/NBC Universal/FOX
- February 13, 2007
- Written by
- Matthew V. Lewis
- Directed by
- Deran Sarafian
- Music at the end
- "Hit The Ground" by Lizz Wright on the "Dreaming Wide Awake" album
Also available from Amazon UK.
- February 13, 2007, ends on Valentine's Day, a Wednesday, as it is in 2007
- The patient of the week
- Hannah Morganthal, a teenager has CIPA (Congenital Insensitivity to Pain and Anhidrosis) so she cannot feel pain. But House thinks something is wrong and indeed she develops fever.
- The mis-diagnoses
- While undergoing tests, she gets a second degree burn and develops paranoia and then her legs become numb and she falls to break bones. House later decides she has a B-12 deficiency but she just got a B-12 injection. While stealing one of Wilson's sandwiches, House decides that something else ate the B-12.
- The privacy invasion / ethical breach
- Wilson thinks that House may want to do a nerve biopsy as he might be able to try a procedure through that that would help him.
- The final diagnosis
- A 25 foot tapeworm
- The clinic patient(s)
- No clinic patient. Hannah was an ER patient before the team took her case.
- Quotes, Quotations, Dialogue:
- Cuddy tells House, "You're curious about someone who can't feel pain because you always feel pain. So, you wanna go exploring...."
While Cuddy is diagnosing House and they argue about a nerve biopsy, he sees several things in her office that lead him to turn on her and say, "Blind dates are never a good idea."
- Hannah refuses to sit still for the tests and House is called in. He tells her, "I'm sure I can say this without being condescending, but then you'd get the false impression that I respect you so: You're a kid, you're scared, you're stalling. Grow up."
"I'm not scared. I'm never scared."
"See?" House says turning to the others, "How juvenile was that?" He turns back to Hannah, "You can't feel pain. Nothing left but pleasure. Why don't you tell me how wonderful that is?"
"Better than being in pain all the time...."
"Every morning I have to check my eyes to make sure I didn't scratch a cornea in my sleep."
"Oh God, stop. I'm in a pool of tears here."
"I can't cry."
"Neither can I." House says with a whine. "Every morning I check my eyes for jaundice. In case the Vicodin's finally shot my liver."
"I can't run anywhere without examining ll my toes for swelling."
"I can't run."
"Boys can't hold me for too long because I can overheat."
"Girls can't hold me for too long because I only pay for an hour."
"I need an alarm on my watch to remind me to go to the bathroom. You know how many humiliating experiences before I thought of that."
"The bathroom's 50 feet from my office. Every drink of water I weigh the pros and cons,"
"After everything I do, I self-check: Mouth, tongue, gums for cuts. Count teeth, check temperature Fingers, toes and joints fo swelling, skin for bruises."
"I got shot."
Bad Mogo is Not a Diagnosis
"I sat on the stove when I was three. Want to see the coil marks?"
When she shows him, he gives her a sedative injection. But as he turns to leave, Cameron objects, "You weren't shot because of leg pain, you were shot because you're a jerk."
"Some think the two are connected."
- House wants a spinal nerve biopsy and he tells his team, who are all against it, that he is going to ask Cuddy. Later the team discuss this and Foreman says, "Maybe Cuddy will say no."
Chase laughs at this, "Cuddy never says no."
Cameron says, "That's not true."
"Nobody ever says no," Chase repeats. "We don't say no."
But Foreman isn't buying it. "You don't say no."
"He'll come back. He'll browbeat us. He'll give us seven reasons and eventually we'll fall. We all will, not just me."
- Additional Quotes from this episode: